Friday, August 6, 2010

Best Broccoli Soup & Tal Ronnen's Twice Baked Fingerlings

Well, little Giorgia may not be feeling so hot but she cannot help looking ADORABLE! i know, I know, I did give birth to her but she is such a cute baby!! I think I have a problem, every time I have a baby, I just think they are the be-all, end-all but...THEY ARE!! My kids are AWESOME, gorgeous, smart, talented & vegan!! I LOVE them! To me, they are perfect! Ok Ok you want recipes, dammit & dammit, I have them!! Last night was so good! Comfort food at it's finest right in the middle of summer of all things! Ya ya ya!!An amazing "Cream" of Broccoli Soup & my man, Tal's unbelievable twice-baked fingerling potatoes!! Heaven on earth! Hope you try & enjoy as well! Giorgia says TRY IT! LIVE IT! LOVE IT!









Beautiful Bitch's Broccoli Soup


- 1 1/2 - 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large sweet Maui onion, chopped
- 2 - 3 cloves minced garlic
- 2 small to medium carrots, cubed
- 1 small celery stalk, chopped (optional)
- 3 - 4 good sized Yukon gold potatoes, cubed
- 2 large heads of beautiful broccoli, chopped into small florets
- 2 cups vegetable broth (go with Better Than Bouillon!)
- 2 cups soy milk (unsweetened)
- 3 - 6 tbsp (or more if you like!) nutritional yeast (damn this stuff is good!)
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper

1. Heat stock pot over medium high heat for 1 - 2 minutes. Turn heat down to medium & heat oil in pot.

2. Add onions, carrots & celery, if using,  & saute until soft & translucent, about 5 - 7 minutes, keeping a close eye they get soft not brown. Add garlic & saute until fragrant, about 1 minute. (Getting tired of similar directions for every meal?! haha)

3.  Throw in Yukons & saute for a few minutes along with other veggies.

4. Pour soy milk & stock in with veggies & bring to a low boil, not raging (Add soy milk slowly & stir it as you pour so it doesn't "curdle"), then turn heat to low & simmer uncovered for about 30 minutes until the potatoes are nice & soft.

5. While soup is cooking, put the broccoli into a steamer & steam until tender but still have some bite & maintain that gorgeous green color. When potatoes are tender, add broccoli to the pot. Remove from heat & in small batches, transfer soup to blender, blend, then put into clean soup pot on the stove. You can leave some of the soup unblended so to give it more texture. Reheat.

6. Add nutritional yeast & incorporate well. Season to taste with salt & pepper. Yum!

This soup is INSANE! It should be illegal!

For those of you who live in a ditch in BFE & are unaware of Tal Ronnen, let me introduce you...He is a revolutionary, to say the least.  You want the fingerling recipe, BUY THE BOOK!! Haha actually there are a ton of recipes from the book online. To take a look at this recipe, check out Tal's website at: http://www.talronnen.com/recipes/twice-baked-potatoes/ you will be so happy if you do!! I do a variation on his recipe - For my son's potatoes, instead of cashew cream, I use vegan tofutti sour cream to make them creamy (he has a gnarly sensitivity to raw cashews). Also, I leave out the horseradish & dulse. But for my husbands & mine, I (surprisingly!) add a bit of cayenne pepper to the mix. Then when I serve them, I add some Fakin' Bacon bits for my hubby & I add chopped chives to mine! YUUUMM!!

This is a great & lovely vegan appetizer to surprise your non-vegan friends - they will NEVER know it's vegan - the potatoes are so damn creamy! I love surprising people with this one!!

Here's Kingston shoving the potatoes in his face mid-bite - no joke, he ate 6 of them in less than 5 minutes! & he is typically a very slow eater! He cleaned his plate & asked me for more - I told him, EAT YOUR SOUP! Haha kids are awesome








No comments: