Saturday, August 28, 2010

Bitch's Broccoli Soup (Again!) with Yummy-licious Yogurt biscuits



WHO LOVES BISCUITS?!


Hello there! Well, Rowan's back in Washington & we seem to be settling back into our routine. Which, of course, means, I will be more consistent with my blogging! 

Tonight I wanted to surprise my husband by making his favorite biscuits! Of course, he still isn't home & the kids & I finished dinner over an hour ago :( But this is still good news for you because these biscuits are RIDICULOUS! & by "ridiculous" I mean AWESOME! Everyone will love you if you make these, I swear - I tell you this from first-hand experience. 

I paired these with one of my old staples (& a favorite around here), Best Broccoli Soup! 

Just a couple things with the Broccoli Soup:
1. Depending on the amount of veggies you may or may not stuff into this soup - you're going to want to adjust the broth & soy milk accordingly. If you use a ton of veggies like me then maybe up the amount of liquid to 1/2 cup more each. That's what I did last night because I used a considerable amount of broccoli & potato. 
2. I computed the nutritional info for this soup! I always like knowing that stuff- I love numbers :)
PER 1 CUP SERVING (recipe makes 12 - 14 cups)
CAL 105 FAT 3 CRB 17 SUG 3 SOD (before adding salt at the end) 143 FIB 3 PRO 3 
So there you go! Not too shabby - of course, I had about 5 cups last night!!

YUMMY-LICIOUS YOGURT BISCUITS
makes 20 - 24 medium biscuits

These are much easier with a food processor.

(you can easily cut this in half but I find I like to make more because they get devoured quickly & we eat them for breakfast the next day with Earth Balance & jam, or drizzled with agave, or sprinkled with cinnamon sugar...you see where I'm going with this?)

4 cups unbleached white (or all-purpose) flour
2 tsp sea salt
2 tsp baking soda
2 tbsp baking powder
10 - 12 tbsp COLD Earth Balance 
(I know, don't freak out on me. But, trust me, MORE is better)
2 cups plain, unsweetened soy yogurt


1. Preheat your oven to 450.
2. Combine your dry ingredients in a food processor, pulsing to combine evenly.
3. Cut your butter into the flour mixture & pulse again until it is completely blended into the flour mixture.
4. Dump in that yummy yogurt-y goodness & blend in the food processor until it just becomes a ball of dough. Take out the dough onto a floured surface & knead it just for 1 minute. The dough will stick a bit to your hands.
5. Press the dough out, flattened to about 1 inch square or rectangle. Using a round drinking glass, punch out rounds & place on a baking sheet lined with parchment. Just parchment. You can continue to reshape the dough & punch out rounds until all the dough in used. You may have to do a couple batches in the oven. 
6. Bake for about 9 minutes - check them at 7 or 8 minutes though. You'll know they are done by their pretty pale golden color. Serve & devour IMMEDIATELY.


Little Giorgia's first taste of broccoli soup! She couldn't get enough! She kept trying to rip the spoon out of my hands - it was so cool!


No comments: